Friday, May 27, 2011

Cork Examiner, Tuesday, July 14, 1992

Today I'm going to begin a new feature - I'm going to present some of my press cuttings. These are by Jim Olney who has written his column for thirty years. I'll begin with an international flavour - I'll leave my prejudices for the next issue.


COLM DALY emerged as Ireland's top points earner at the recent Olympiad in Manila. The 24-year-old Leinster champion totalled 5.5/11 to register a 50% score on board two.
National title-holder Stephen Brady also achieved a 50% score with 5/10, as did Tom Clarke with 4/8.
The other individual performances were: IM Mark Orr 3.5/10 on board one, Kilian Hynes 3.5/9 and Joe Ryan 3.5/8.
The Irish side finished a disappointing 82nd in the 112 nation field with 25/56.
Individual highlights were Orr's draw with Icelandic grandmaster Margeir Petursson and some highly creative play from Daly in the following game against a 2520-rated IM:



Hope you enjoy!

No comments: