Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chess Puzzle

Today's puzzle:


Not too difficult but a nice position and a nice move by one of our own. Can you find it?


Solution to last puzzle:
JJ. Walsh - G.J. Boyd
Irish Ch, 1952
J.J. Walsh wrote: I was quite pleased with this coup until several years later I found that after 1.Bh3?? Qxh3 2.Qxd5 black can turn the game in his favour by 2...Rxf2!! Now white is faced with mate on the move and 3.Rxf2 allows 3...cxd5 and 3.Kxf2 is answered by 3...Rf8+: followed by cxd5.

What do you have to do the trick some people? I thought I had done a fine job of giving the barest information in the last puzzle. So imagine my surprise when I got an email from Sean Coffey giving me the solution and also telling me that it was by J.J Walsh - I was gobsmacked. It's bad enough he solves all the problems but he also knows all the sources! I definitely wouldn't fancy facing him across the chessboard.

1 comment:

Sean Coffey said...

I guessed it was from a JJ Walsh column -- there's something about the wording of the question, JJ had a great way of boiling down the question into a few words -- and I must also have seen the actual column at some point. But to set the record straight, I certainly didn't know it was a JJ Walsh game!