Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dun Laoghaire Chess Festival

I was able to call into the Dun Laoghaire Chess Festival today and I was really impressed. What a remarkable achievement - to organize a GM and a IM event side by side. Eamon Keogh and Michael Crowe really deserve all our praise and acknowledgement. The event is being controlled by Gerry Graham and he is being assisted by Herbert Scarry and others. The above names should be familiar to every Irish chess player - their contribution to chess could not be calculated.

I don't think people realize or appreciate what some people do for Irish chess. Some people are criticizing these people from a position of ignorance. I hope that these people fail to realize the effect their words have upon other people. But I can say now that their words are deeply hurting people who have done immeasurable things for Irish chess.

I just wanted to get that off my chest. Back to the Dun Laoghaire Chess Festival, today was round five and it was really fantastic to be able to watch such tremendous chess players in action. I felt I was taking part in a little piece of chess history. I decided to make the day special for myself and requested the autograph of all participates. I was really impressed by how genuine and nice all these players were. I got all but one autograph, hopefully I'll get that tomorrow.

Some of the participates have agreed to contribute material for the soon to be relaunched ICJ. I won't comment on the results etc, as I think the ICU site is doing a fantastic job of reporting on the event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a load of rubbish you write to get off your chest. There are many sides to people and their involvment in Irish chess. The people you mention have indeed done much good work for Irish chess [and themselves and their egos too] but they have also been central to some of the most awful things in Irish chess. Truly scandalous stuff. People are saying hurtful things because they are true! It would be great if this did not happen but it would be even better if those people did not do some of the mad stuff they have been involved with. PLEASE STOP GIVING A SIMPLISTIC AND SIDED ACCOUNT OF THESE PEOPLE.